Animal Production, Ichthyology, Ecology and Protection of the Environment
- Production methods of farm animals, including poultry, and their effects on animal health and welfare.
- Feeding behaviour and physiological mechanisms that underlie food intake and diet selection in farm animals.
- Modelling the responses of animals to their treatments including feeding and health challenges.
- Interactions between nutrition and disease in farm animals and poultry.
- Interrelationship of genetics and disease in farm animals.
- Product quality from livestock enterprises.
- Growth and development of farm animals.
- Organic Livestock production systems.
- Association of molecular markers with economically important traits in farm animals.
- Studies on the health and welfare of working equines with emphasis on Donkeys.
- Studies of sheep lameness.
- Genetic relationship between body energy, reproduction, growth and health in dairy cattle.
- Improvements in national and international genetic evaluations of dairy cattle.
- Genetic study of the Transmissible Spongiform Encephalopathy (scrapie) in sheep.
- Improvement of sheep health and fertility using molecular markers.
- Applications of Information Technology to herd management and genetic improvement programs in cattle, sheep and goats.
- Bio-diversity and inbreeding in horses.
- The potential use of agricultural by-products in animal feeding.
- Improvement of the nutritive value of feeds by incorporating various natural or synthetic feed additives, such as probiotics, prebiotics, acidifiers, aromatic plants and/or their extracts, etc.
- Development of methods for the determination of additives in feeds and their residues in animal products.
- Development of methods for the determination of toxic and/or antinutrive substances occurring naturally in feeds.
- Development of methods for the determination of various nutrients in feeds.
- Characterization of the lipids used in animal nutrition.
Economics of Animal Production
- Issues of economic analysis of the animal production sector, at a macro and micro- economical level, applying quantitative methods of analysis either statistical and econometrical (planning, implementation and controlling of agribusiness, financial analysis of agribusiness, information technologies in agribusiness, etc.).
- Statistical sampling and conducting surveys in livestock sector and related sectors such as food processing industry.
- Design of experimental processes and statistical analysis of the data derived from biological experiments.
- Design and implementation of epidemiologic studies (experimental and observational), as well as design of studies for evaluating sensitivity and specificity of diagnostic tests, and development of new statistical models for evaluating diagnostic tests without gold standards.
Ichthyology – Culture and Pathology of Aquatic Animals
- Applied research on extensive, semi-intensive and intensive aquaculture systems.
- Studies on the pathology of farmed aquatic animals.
Ecology and Protection of the Environment
- Water pollution (sea, lakes, rivers), pollution of aquatic organisms, evaluation and management of wetlands, eutrophication.
- Environmental toxicology.
- Animal wastes management.
- Interactions between environment and animal production.